You Might Have Seen Me on TV

For the last five years this website has been Loving Lorelei, a place where my family and I posted updates about my fight against cancer. You may have noticed that our posts are coming fewer and farther between. That’s because my health has been stable and there are fewer updates to share. *crowds cheer* *trumpets sound* *unicorns rejoice*

I will always view life through the lenses of cancer survivor glasses. Even though I am cancer free and am not on any chemo or radiation regimens, I still fight the effects of cancer in physical and emotional ways almost every day. But this blog is about really living life after cancer. I am a young wife, a senior in college, a gardener, a communications coordinator, a dog owner, and a blog writer. Oh, and a cancer survivor. Introducing: Living Lorelei.

Only a few short years ago I was in the throes of battling cancer, and occasionally I ended up on TV. Make-A-Wish was to coach the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team, and I was a guest commentator on the Thunder Live broadcast before playoff games. I served as the spokesperson for blood drives and did news interviews at multiple TV stations. Even my grapple with Blue Cross Blue Shield over denying my bone marrow transplant made international news. 

I like to think of Oklahoma City as a booming metropolis, but the reality is that it’s a pretty small world here. It was a common occurrence for me to meet people who had heard of me through their small group or had seen me on the news. 

Sometime last year I went to Chick-fil-A for lunch. I waited in line and shuffled my way to the counter to place my order. 

“Name for the order?” asked the manager.
“Lorelei,” I replied, anticipating providing the spelling. He withdrew his hands from the screen and pointed.
“You look very familiar,” he said.
I smiled knowingly and suggested, “you might have seen me on TV.”
“No… that’s not it,” he said. His voice lingered.
“Oh, well, I come here a lot,” I replied quickly as I glanced around.
“That’s probably it,” he determined.

How embarrassing, I thought. He probably thinks I’m a weirdo. *mocking tone* “Oh you’ve probably seen me on TV.” 

I have been cancer free for four years now. However, because of Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)  and other complications from my transplant, I have only begun to venture toward normalcy within the last few years. This encounter with James, the manager at my local Chick-fil-A, launched me toward normalcy in the best sense possible. Outwardly, I was embarrassed that I assumed he had seen me on TV. Inside, I was thrilled to be just another customer.  

Currently, I live in this gray area where some areas of my life are entirely defined by cancer, and others are completely normal. I have friends who prayed over me when I was diagnosed and peers at school who do not know I was ever sick. Living in the gray area between cancer fighter and long-time survivor sometimes leads to awkward interactions at Chick-fil-A. But, hey, it’s living!

73 comments (Add your own)

1. Dee Dee Stafford wrote:
And the world is such a better place because you are "Living Lorelei"!!

Sat, August 26, 2017 @ 6:31 PM

2. Mahmoo wrote:
There is nothing that brings me greater joy than knowing that you are living such a happy life. You have fought so courageously, and indured great suffering to win this crown of normalcy.
Way to go, baby girl!
You will always be my hero!

Sun, August 27, 2017 @ 12:14 AM

3. Julie Street Aka Julie Prather Taylor’s mom wrote:
Lorelei, I just remembered that you have been working at the children’s home..my daughter Kara is working there while she finishes nursing school, and I live less than 1.5 miles. Enough of the small talk, I have lots of time to donate can you tell me where my time could be used in the best way?

Tue, April 3, 2018 @ 5:51 PM

4. wrote:
Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long
as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you present here.

Please let me know if this ok with you. Many thanks!

Tue, May 14, 2019 @ 6:41 PM

5. wrote:
great issues altogether, you just won a new reader. What would you suggest in regards to your post that you made some days ago?

Any positive?

Wed, May 29, 2019 @ 3:27 AM

6. wrote:
It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
I've read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you
few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles
referring to this article. I want to read more things
about it!

Sat, June 1, 2019 @ 7:23 PM

7. wrote:
Pretty component to content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to
assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment and even I
achievement you get right of entry to persistently fast.

Mon, June 3, 2019 @ 3:35 PM

8. wrote:
Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it,
you happen to be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage you to continue your great work, have a nice day!

Tue, June 4, 2019 @ 8:35 AM

9. wrote:
Great info. Lucky me I discovered your blog by accident (stumbleupon).

I've bookmarked it for later!

Sun, June 9, 2019 @ 3:23 AM

10. wrote:
Hello! I've been reading your weblog for a long time now and
finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent job!

Tue, June 18, 2019 @ 11:22 PM

11. wrote:
Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal
but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about
making my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers

Sat, July 20, 2019 @ 10:44 PM

12. wrote:
Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but,
I'd like to shoot you an email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Fri, August 23, 2019 @ 11:04 PM

13. wrote:
Having read this I believed it was very enlightening. I appreciate you spending some time and energy
to put this informative article together. I once again find myself spending way too much
time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!

Sun, September 1, 2019 @ 3:55 PM

14. wrote:
Hi it's me, I am also visiting this website on a regular basis, this site is in fact
good and the users are in fact sharing good thoughts.

Tue, September 3, 2019 @ 12:43 PM

15. wrote:
I don't even understand how I finished up right here, but I believed this
publish was great. I do not understand who
you are however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger in the event you aren't already.
Cheers!

Tue, September 3, 2019 @ 1:38 PM

16. wrote:
This paragraph is genuinely a pleasant one it assists new internet users, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

Sat, September 7, 2019 @ 9:54 PM

17. wrote:
Very shortly this website will be famous among all
blogging people, due to it's fastidious articles

Mon, September 9, 2019 @ 6:19 AM

18. wrote:
It's awesome to go to see this website and reading the views of all colleagues concerning
this piece of writing, while I am also eager of getting
familiarity.

Mon, September 9, 2019 @ 6:51 AM

19. wrote:
Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It truly
useful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to provide one
thing back and help others such as you aided me.

Mon, September 9, 2019 @ 11:39 AM

20. wrote:
Howdy! I understand this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask.

Does building a well-established blog like yours require a
massive amount work? I'm brand new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal every day.
I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience
and views online. Please let me know if you have
any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers.
Thankyou!

Tue, September 10, 2019 @ 7:16 AM

21. wrote:
Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

Wed, September 11, 2019 @ 9:53 PM

22. wrote:
Hello would you mind letting me know which
web host you're utilizing? I've loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers
and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.

Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a fair price?
Kudos, I appreciate it!

Thu, September 12, 2019 @ 10:20 AM

23. wrote:
This is a topic that is close to my heart... Take care!
Where are your contact details though?

Sat, September 14, 2019 @ 4:32 AM

24. wrote:
Hurrah! At last I got a weblog from where I be
able to truly get useful data regarding my study and knowledge.

Sat, September 14, 2019 @ 5:52 PM

25. wrote:
I loved this post! i try to read your blog very often, and you're constantly coming out with some great stuff.
I shared this on my blog, and my followers loved it.

I really admire the great work :)

Sun, September 15, 2019 @ 6:43 PM

26. wrote:
I lopved this post! i actually read your blg pretty often, andd you're always coming out with some great stuff.
I shared this on my fb, and my followaers adored it. Ireally admire the
great work :)

Sun, September 15, 2019 @ 9:32 PM

27. wrote:
I really enjoy looking at on this internet site, it holds fantastic blog posts.

Thu, September 19, 2019 @ 11:01 AM

28. wrote:
Good post! We will be linking to this great article on our site.
Keep up the good writing.

Thu, September 19, 2019 @ 5:37 PM

29. wrote:
Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, great blog!

Thu, September 19, 2019 @ 6:21 PM

30. wrote:
Hello, Neat post. There's a problem along with your website in internet explorer,
could test this? IE nonetheless is the market chief and a
big component to other people will leave out your fantastic writing because
of this problem.

Thu, September 19, 2019 @ 6:47 PM

31. wrote:
Hi there! I could have sworn I've visited this site
before but after browsing through some of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Regardless, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be
book-marking it and checking back frequently!

Thu, September 19, 2019 @ 7:14 PM

32. wrote:
I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article.
But want to remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles
is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Thu, September 19, 2019 @ 8:33 PM

33. wrote:
Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article! It is
the little changes that make the biggest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 2:00 AM

34. wrote:
It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future
and it's time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest
you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to
this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 2:10 AM

35. wrote:
Thanks to my father who told me regarding this web site, this web site is truly amazing.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 2:32 AM

36. wrote:
Hello I am so happy I found your weblog, I really found you
by mistake, while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Regardless I
am here now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post
and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go
through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have
time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 4:45 AM

37. wrote:
We stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I
might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you.
Look forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 1:13 PM

38. wrote:
Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.

Would you propose starting with a free platform
like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices
out there that I'm totally confused .. Any tips?

Thanks!

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 4:38 PM

39. wrote:
I don't even understand how I ended up right here, however I believed this put up was great.

I do not understand who you are however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger if you aren't already.
Cheers!

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 5:08 PM

40. wrote:
Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity in your post is just excellent and i could assume
you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let
me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 5:23 PM

41. wrote:
Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options
out there that I'm completely confused .. Any tips? Many thanks!

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 5:41 PM

42. wrote:
You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think
I would never understand. It seems too complicated and
extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try
to get the hang of it!

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 6:10 PM

43. wrote:
I am in fact happy to glance at this website posts which carries tons of helpful facts, thanks for providing these information.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 6:24 PM

44. wrote:
Definitely consider that that you stated. Your favorite
reason seemed to be at the web the simplest factor to be mindful of.
I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while folks consider issues that they just don't recognise about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as well as outlined out the whole thing
with no need side-effects , other folks can take a signal.
Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 6:29 PM

45. wrote:
Helpful info. Fortunate me I discovered your website by chance, and I'm
surprised why this twist of fate didn't happened in advance!

I bookmarked it.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 6:33 PM

46. wrote:
This piece of writing is really a nice one it assists new internet users, who are wishing for
blogging.

Fri, September 20, 2019 @ 6:35 PM

47. wrote:
Hi, Neat post. There's an issue along with your website in internet explorer, could
test this? IE still is the market leader and a large portion of other people will leave out
your magnificent writing because of this problem.

Sat, September 21, 2019 @ 4:19 PM

48. wrote:
I'm excited to uncover this great site. I wanted to thank you
for ones time for this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and i also have you bookmarked
to see new things in your website.

Sat, September 21, 2019 @ 5:23 PM

49. wrote:
You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this
matter to be really something which I think
I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very
broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang
of it!

Sat, September 21, 2019 @ 5:36 PM

50. wrote:
Thanks very nice blog!

Sat, September 21, 2019 @ 5:38 PM

51. wrote:
As the admin of this site is working, no doubt very quickly it will be famous,
due to its feature contents.

Sun, September 22, 2019 @ 9:49 AM

52. wrote:
This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which
helped me. Thank you!

Mon, September 23, 2019 @ 2:25 AM

53. wrote:
If you wish for to obtain a great deal from this article then you
have to apply these strategies to your won weblog.

Tue, September 24, 2019 @ 12:06 AM

54. wrote:
magnificent points altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
What might you recommend in regards to your publish that
you made some days in the past? Any certain?

Wed, September 25, 2019 @ 9:42 AM

55. wrote:
It's very easy to find out any topic on net as
compared to books, as I found this piece of writing at this
web site.

Wed, September 25, 2019 @ 11:17 AM

56. wrote:
Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger,
and I was wondering your situation; many of us have created
some nice practices and we are looking to swap strategies with
other folks, why not shoot me an email if interested.

Fri, September 27, 2019 @ 10:22 AM

57. wrote:
Do you have any video of that? I'd want to find out some additional
information.

Sun, September 29, 2019 @ 8:24 PM

58. wrote:
Thanks for sharing such a good thinking, piece of writing
is nice, thats why i have read it entirely

Wed, October 2, 2019 @ 6:37 AM

59. wrote:
Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was
wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my
comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours
and I'm having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

Wed, October 2, 2019 @ 6:51 PM

60. wrote:
It's wonderful that you are getting ideas from this
article as well as from our discussion made at this time.

Thu, October 3, 2019 @ 2:52 AM

61. wrote:
I'm not sure why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for me.
Is anyone else having this issue or is it a
issue on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

Thu, October 3, 2019 @ 5:21 PM

62. wrote:
Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web
site is great, let alone the content!

Thu, October 3, 2019 @ 5:22 PM

63. wrote:
You've made some good points there. I checked on the internet for additional information about the issue and
found most people will go along with your views on this web site.

Fri, October 4, 2019 @ 5:00 AM

64. wrote:
If some one wishes to be updated with most recent
technologies after that he must be pay a visit this site and
be up to date everyday.

Sat, October 5, 2019 @ 5:12 AM

65. wrote:
You could certainly see your skills within the work you write.

The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid
to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

Sun, October 6, 2019 @ 6:10 PM

66. wrote:
It's nearly impossible to find well-informed people in this particular topic, but you seem like you know what you're talking about!
Thanks

Sun, October 6, 2019 @ 6:42 PM

67. wrote:
I like the valuable information you provide for your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and test once more here frequently.

I'm quite certain I'll learn lots of new stuff right right here!
Best of luck for the next!

Sun, October 6, 2019 @ 11:54 PM

68. wrote:
I blog quite often and I genuinely appreciate your information. This article has really peaked
my interest. I'm going to take a note of your blog and keep checking for new
details about once per week. I subscribed to your RSS
feed as well.

Tue, October 8, 2019 @ 7:59 PM

69. wrote:
Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared
to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to
you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that
they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out
the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Tue, October 8, 2019 @ 9:22 PM

70. wrote:
It's actually a nice and useful piece of information.
I am happy that you shared this helpful info with
us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Tue, October 8, 2019 @ 9:48 PM

71. wrote:
It's not my first time to pay a visit this web site, i amm visiting
this webbsite dailly andd obtain pleasant information from here alll the
time.

Sun, October 13, 2019 @ 10:20 AM

72. wrote:
Good information. Lucky me I came across your site by accident (stumbleupon).
I've book marked it for later!

Mon, October 14, 2019 @ 6:48 AM

73. wrote:
Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed readinhg it, you happen to be a
great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blopg and definitely will come back iin thhe future.
I wwant to encourage you to definitely continue your great job, have a nice morning!

Mon, October 14, 2019 @ 11:43 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.